This guide takes you step-by-step through the process of setting up a new email account in Thunderbird for Mac.
Note: This guide defaults to IMAP and No SSL.
Replace example.com with your domain name
Check your password
- First, check your password by browsing to Webmail and trying to log in. If you aren’t able to log in, then you have the incorrect password – you will need to get your domain or web administrator to update it for you if you don’t have konsoleH access.
♦ Automatic Account configuration
A new email account set up with Thunderbird is quick and easy using Automatic Account configuration.
However, reasons to rather use Manual Configuration are:
- if you prefer POP, as this automatic configuration defaults to IMAP
- if this is a new hosting account and domain propagation has not completed
View account settings
- Launch Mozilla Thunderbird
- If this Accounts screen opens, choose to Create a new account > Email – proceed to step 4
Or alternatively, on the toolbar at the top, select Tools and then Account Settings
Add mail account
- Click the Account Actions drop-down and then select Add Mail Account from the list
- Ignore this option and choose to Skip this and use my existing email?
Enter your details
- Enter the following details:
- Name (which will appear the “From” field in your emails)
- Email address
- Password (stipulated when you created your email account in konsoleH – (forgotten passwords – Contact your Web Administrator )
- Then click Continue
- Thunderbird will now automatically check your email settings. Ignore this warning message, tick and choose Done
- This screen confirms your chosen settings > Done.
- If your settings are not found, click the Manual config button and continue:
♦ Manual configuration
Follow the Automatic configuration above, and then choose Manual config.
Ensure that your settings are correct as below (these are the default settings – replacing with your own name and domain).
- Choose POP or IMAP
- IMAP: Incoming port 143, Outgoing 587 (as below)
- POP : Incoming 110, Outgoing 587
- Ensure that the User Name is the full email address.
- If you don’t know your password, Contact your Web Administrator.
- For new hosting accounts, temporarily use the IP address instead of the Incoming & Outgoing mail servers.
- Choose POP or IMAP
- Choose Re-test > Done.